Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Yokai Doctor by Yuki Sato

Title: Yokai Doctor
Mangaka: Yuki Sato
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 3
My Rating: 4/5

Kotoko Kasuga's grandfather use to exorcise spirits and she inherits a bit of his special ability. But all she can do is see them, not get rid of them! Except with all the students in her school knowing about her sixth sense, she pretends that she is able to exorcise yokai (otherworldly spirits). What does a girl gotta do when she has a strange talent?

When she sees the new student, Kuro, speaks to a small yokai he nearly tripped over, she knows he is just like her. That same day, she requests him to become her friend.

Kuro has a secret. He is a yokai doctor, someone who helps cure yokais when they are sick or injured. He recently arrived on Earth to learn more about humans. When Kotoko asks him to be her friend, he can not be more thrilled. He never had a human friend before so this makes him very happy. But then, he finds out that Kotoko really hates yokai! Should he reveal to her his secret?

In the first two chapters of the first volume, you are given both sides of the story in perspectives of Kuro and Kotoko. It briefs you on both of the protagonists' lives and how they come to be the person they are today. They also have their own little secrets and I am eager to discover more about Kuro. I love his innocent-with-glasses demeanor because there aren't a lot of main characters like that in manga (aside Negi from Negima! but he's ten years old). From how he is displayed so far, I'm sure he'll become even cooler later on! Kuro and Kotoko are characters that appear to be naive but after you continue reading it, they are both strong and admirable in their own way. I can't wait to see how their relationship develops! I'm sure there is romance and there better be!

Yokai Doctor is a cute and new series with a different take on your usual spirit-themed mangas. There is a great balance of humour and seriousness throughout. I think shojo fans would enjoy it. There is also a couple of adorable yokais in it that you can't help but be "awww!" over! From the preview of the second volume, Yokai Doctor seems like it's just starting to get exciting!

Review copy provided by Del Rey.

post signature

No comments: