Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Title: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author: Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: 183
My Rating: 4/5

Dumped by his three-week girlfriend, guitarist Nick is on the brink of depression. He believes no one but Tris will be his one and only. After his band performance at a club, he sees his ex-girlfriend with another guy. Desperate and can not bear to be witnessed alone, he asks a random girl beside him to be his girlfriend for the next five minutes.

Norah is your plain Jewish girl with profanity spewing out of her mouth every other second. At a club, she is hanging out with her slutty but good friend, Caroline. But she never expects anyone to ask her to be their girlfriend. Seeing the evil Tris, she immediately agrees by pulling down the handsome stranger for a very sexy (and unplanned) kiss.

Supposedly this is all pretend for that brief five minutes, but they find themselves falling hard for each other. Travelling around the city in a cab and a broken Yugo, the late night and early morning is full of passion, truth, confusion, and most importantly, music.

When I first started reading, the way the characters spoke through the pages got me confused. I honestly didn't think normal teenage guys and girls spoke the way they did! But their language and thoughts were definitely enthralling. It kept me turning the pages because I enjoyed being in their head. I advise you that if you plan to pick up Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, take your time to read it! If you don't, then you will not understand what they are talking about sometimes. There are also lots of music references (and most of them are not mainstream) so I tend to get lost in those.

I can definitely see why this book became a movie. It's very realistic and it makes you want to go out and be bad! Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist is a very fun read that takes on the minds of a male and female who just met, entangled in a new and strange relationship. I warn you that there are a lot mature content in case you are easily offended by profanity, sexual acts, and so forth.

post signature

5 comments:

Liviania said...

I loved this one. (And the movie, except for the gum thing.)

Thao said...

I haven't read the book or watched the movie. They both seem so nice though. Thanks for the review, Diana ; D

Diana Dang said...

@Liviania: Bubble gum? I don't think there was a part with that in the book. xD

@Thao: Not a prob! =D

The Book Resort said...

So... book or movie on this? Decisions. Decisions.

Diana Dang said...

I never watched the movie so I can't say. xD